A VPN Kill Switch kill is an advanced feature that disconnects your device from the internet when your VPN connection fails.
This functionality is available on Android.
Reasons for a VPN to stop
- Deactivation of the VPN at the phone level: If your phone restart, or for any other reasons like bugs. It can be totally unpredictable.
- Server Malfunction: If your VPN’s server acts up, it will lead to a poor connection. It can be an isolated issue, so you may be able to reconnect to the service through a different server.
- Server Overload: The VPN servers with the strongest connection can still fail when there’s too many users hooked up to them.
- Change of VPN Server: You can trigger loss of connection when switching between VPN servers. This will trigger the kill switch to stop your internet access.
- Inability to Establish a Tunnel: Your VPN may struggle to connect the client and the server via a tunnel because of IP packet filters and proxy server issues.
VPN kill switch on android
Steps to configure your VPN kill switch
Go to Settings → Connections → More connection settings → VPN. Select the activated VPN service option. Activate the option 'Always-on VPN'. Activate the option 'Block connections without VPN'.