Plex Media Server is a digital media player and organizational tool that allows you to sort and access your music, pictures, and videos. Plex runs on a computer, or ideally a NAS, and is accessible to all your other computers and mobile device.
What is Plex media management?
Drop your media files into the folders that Plex is monitoring, and it will automatically pull metadata from sites like IMDB, TMDB, and Fanart.tv. In the vast majority of cases, all your media will be categorized, sorted and tagged automatically, with posters and subtitles automatically added.
Do I need a VPN to use Plex remotely?
Nope, you don’t need a VPN when using Plex. Any content that’s streamed from your server to a client app is encrypted and shouldn’t be viewable to anyone who may be trying to snoop on what you’re doing.
Is Plex Legal?
Like driving a car, Plex itself is perfectly legal. That doesn’t mean you can’t do illegal things with it. If you pirate movies or TV shows and then load them up into Plex, the app will stream them to your devices just as it would anything else. It doesn’t distinguish between legally acquired media or pirated content.
What about the Plex Pass
With the Plex Pass, you get extras:
- Offline sync: Allows you to download movies and music to mobile devices for access when the device is no longer connected to the internet.
- Premium music: Provides lyrics for songs you stream on Plex and is capable of generating playlists in a manner similar to Spotify.
- Premium photos: Includes auto-tagging for your photos, and makes it easier to sort and access the photos you want. You also have the option to upload new photos from your mobile devices automatically.
- Movie & TV extras: Allows you to watch cinematic trailers before you stream videos, just like in the theater. You also get access to extras like deleted scenes and behind-the-scenes featurettes.
- Live TV: Requires a tuner device and an antenna to receive local HD television channels and stream these channels to your devices. It also includes a digital video recorder (DVR) feature and the ability to skip commercials in a manner similar to TiVo.
- Parental controls: Allows you to install the Plex app on your kids’ devices and lock them out from any content you don’t want them to access.
- Plex perks: Subscribers also gain access to partner discounts and can take advantage of new features before free users.