Traditional recipe and ingredients to make your own organic bread by hand, cheaper than at the baker’s and without a bread machine.
Making your own bread
- 500 g of bread flour
- 300 g of water
- 1 teaspoon and a half of salt
- 2 packets of Francine “Special Bread Yeast
- A little flour for the hands and the work surface
- Mix the salt and flour in a bowl.
- Make a well and pour in the yeast and then the warm water, slowly.
- Knead vigorously for 6 minutes with a wooden spoon and then with floured hands. The dough obtained must be homogeneous and elastic.
- Cover the bowl with a cloth and let the dough rest for 30 min. in a warm place.
- Generously flour the work surface and flatten the dough to make a 20 cm square.
- Fold the 4 points of the square in the center, then the 4 new points.
- Turn the dough over and round it to form a nice ball.
- Place the ball in the center of a lightly oiled baking sheet and cover it with a large bowl.
- Let rise for 40 min in a warm place. 15 min. before the end of the rising time, turn on the oven at 240°C (Th.8) in classic heat or 200°C (Th.7) in revolving heat.
- When the dough has risen, make several criss-cross cuts on the top with a fine-toothed knife and sprinkle with a little flour.
- Put a ramekin of water on the baking sheet and put it in the oven at half height for 30 to 40 min. so that the crust is well browned.